Update on Our lady of Guadalupe Shrine project for the month of Aug.
Please share the info below with all brother knights in your councils any other councils I might have missed.
Please try to make the ground break event at The Grotto Sept 20. Also please bring you spouses
Note the onsite elevator will be free for all knights and their Spouses as well
Call 503-703-1622 or email me back
1) The current funds received to date 8/31/2015 are $2,870.00. With a projected $5,500 that should be coming in shortly.
2) Other donation items to report. Brother knights, Jeff Peterson & Scott Peterson who own Westside Masonry, Inc, in Tigard Oregon are donating all the Concrete blocks to build the shrine and their labor to get the blocks installed as well as the concrete pads / walk ways. (God Bless Brother knights, Jeff Peterson & Scott Peterson)
3) Another donation item to report, Brother Knight Brain Moran ( St Therese Council 7828) who owns Troutdale Sand & Gravel will be donating all the concrete and delivering cost in support of building the shrine. (God Bless Brother Knight Brain Moran)
4) Donated labor for the shrine, We have 10 knights from 6 councils that have carpentry experience that volunteered their time to build the roof of the shrine. ( Thanks lord for this brother knights
5) We have purchased the needed bench that will be in front of the main entry to the shrine. Should be on site Oct 15
6) The Grotto funding bucket is 100% up and working: special donation section to donate via a credit card. Co-sponsored by Knights of Columbus
To donate, go to http://www.thegrotto.org/donate/special-projects/ or make a check out to “The Grotto — Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine project and mail it to P.O. Box 20008, Portland, OR 97294-0008.
The shrine planned building schedule
Sept 20, (Sunday) Our Lady Grounding breaking
Sept 21~ 23, 300+ Shrine blocks will be deliver to The Grotto to a defined location give to us by Father Jack / Tom ( this can happen earlier up to Jeff and Scott)
Sept 25, (Friday) Remove all the dirt where the mission church foundation will be placed (Dirt will be moved to the other side of the path about 20 feet down going west) (need 30 to 40 knights to help, Please volunteer if you can)
Sept 25 (Friday) Level out the footing and get the site ready for concrete pouring on Saturday.
Sept 25, (Friday) Relocate 300 block from delivered location to shrine site.
Sept 26, (Saturday) concrete trunk will deliver what is needed to pour the wall footings.
Sept 28~Oct 8, Westside masonry from Beaverton will build the shrine outer walls. Donated
Oct 19~ 23, 10 or so carpenters that are knights will build the wooden roof. Need to pull funds for the needed wood items. Labor free
Oct 26~27 the installation of stucco siding will be done by a local contractor. Need to pull funds for this to be completed.
Nov 2~6 the installation the terracotta roof will be done by a local contractor. Need to pull funds for this to be completed.
Nov 9~ 11, If weather permitting, we are planning on pouring the walk ways and the mission church floor. All concrete and labor donated.
Still need to raise more funds to support the building of the mosaic pictures (working on it)
Thanks again for all your support
Tom Karl / Tim Grady
Can you please get the bullet items out and get the word out on the dates below.
Item 1) Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine ground breaking at The Grotto (Address: 8840 NE Skidmore St, Portland, OR 97220)
State of Oregon Knights of Columbus event and shrine ground-breaking.
Council 3179 sponsoring a free BBQ / potluck with support from council 7828/13700.
Servite Father Jack Topper, rector of The Grotto, will be giving a special prayer to all the Oregon Knights that are able to make it and a special prayer over the ground the shrine will be built on.
“Fr. Theo agree to assist with Father Jack with the ground breaking ceremony on Sept 20”
Oregon State officers will be there and will say few words at the picnic?
Outdoor mass at the grotto will start at 12:00~1:00
The Shrine ceremony will start in the upper garden on, September 20th at 1:45pm.
BBQ will start at 2:15 in the upper Servite special picnic area west of the monastery
Sept 20 is The Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows and The Grotto’s 91st Anniversary with Mass at Noon in The Grotto Plaza lower level.
All Knights are encouraged to attend the outdoor Mass. Then all Knights will proceed to the event in the Upper Gardens for the BBQ and ground breaking.
Any questions please let me know
3179 Grand Knight