Saturday, December 20, 2014

Twas the Knight Before Christmas

I hope you all enjoy this little poem and graphic sent along from the Arizona State Deputy.

Twas the Knight Before Christmas

Twas the Knight before Christmas, when all through the council chamber, Not a creature was stirring, not even a member.

The blank Form 100’s were stacked by the fin sec with care, In hopes that the membership chairman soon would be there.

The members were nestled all snug in their chairs, While visions of pancakes danced in their heads.

And the officers in their jewels, and I ready to wrap my gavel, Had just settled our brains for a long meeting of babble.

When out in the hall there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from the podium to see what was the matter.

Away to the door I flew like a flash,

Tore open the handle and ran with a dash.

The light on the floor of the long narrow hall Provided the vision of a man standing tall.

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But the membership chairman, with our pillars and candidates in the rear.

The membership chairman, so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment it must be Brother Nick.

More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,

And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now, Charity! Now, Unity! Now, Fraternity and Patriotism! On, Church! On, Service! On, Family and Catholicism!

To the front of the chamber! To a place near the wall! Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"

And then, in a twinkling, I heard in the chamber,

The prancing and sounds of each new prospective member. As I drew up my gavel, and was turning around,

Raising his hand Brother Nick waved with a bound.

He addressed all of the council, introducing his guests,

And then led them all back out the door so we can do our best.

On the way out, a bundle of Form 100s he had flung to the financial secretary, And he looked like a Star Recruiter, all jolly and merry.

I opened the meeting and with a motion and second we voted them in, We decided to hold the degree that night, and welcome them like kin, Our founder will be proud of our council growing stronger,

And know that our council will survive for years longer!

I sprang to the chambers, to my team I gave a wrap, And away they all flew to bring new members back.

And they heard me exclaim, that a Star Council is in sight, "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good Knight!"

Vivat Jesus!

Larry Becker

Arizona State Deputy, Knights of Columbus

December 1, 2014

No comments :

Post a Comment